Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Eating Out: Old Town Kopitiam, 195 Lt Bourke St, Melbourne Chinatown

I first visited this restaurant about 2 years ago. And even back then it was very good. I remember I ordered the curry laksa that time, how I remember? I ALMOST DIED cos it was so chilli. Nah, it wasn't that chilli for Malaysians but it was pretty chilli for me. 2 years on and not much has changed about this place. It's pretty packed and its a public holiday so theres no business people around...I wonder what it is like on a working weekday.
Had a very hard time tossing between, Nasi Lemak (curry chicken, my fav), Char Kway Teow (cos I haven't had it in a while), Hokkien Mee (haven't had that in ages as well), Siamese Laksa (sounded awesome but it looked super super spicy in the picture) and Prawn Noodle (I don't even remember when I last had this, that means), therefore I chose to go with the Prawn Noodles and what a good choice it was.

Old Town Prawn Noodle Har Mee $9.90
Where should I start? It looked really appetising. The broth was extremely rich in prawn flavour. It was quite salty in a good way. It had slices of pork, fish cake, kangkung (water spinach), half a boiled egg, 3 large and crunchy prawns. The hokkien noodles were just right, I have rediscovered my love for them. Very very nice bowl of noodles especially on a cold day. I do recommend this dish if you can't don't eat chilli. 
Old Town Fish Ball Noodle Kway Teow Teng $9.90
White rice noodles, white fish cake, white fish balls, white poached chicken, clear broth.
Singaporean Fried Vermicelli $10.50
Very thin vermicelli with tonnes of goodies. Not spicy.

Food: 8.5/10 The food here is consistently very good. Flavours are rich, portions are big, presentation is quite good. 
Service: 8/10 Food came out quite quickly. Waiter only came around for take orders, to give us water and to serve us our food. They seem very very very busy.
Environment: 7/10 Everything is quite new and relatively clean. However it is pretty cramped and very noisy. But then again it is Chinatown, everything is cramped so they're exempt. 

Verdict? I really like this place. Probably the best Malaysian Food I've had in Melbourne so far. Very happy to come back at least another 10 times to try everything (I want to) on the menu. Maybe I should make that my goal for the next couple of years. I think that proves that I highly recommend this place.


Old Town Kopitiam on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, love your blog already and am going to follow it. I grew up in Hong Kong for eighteen years, and last September, I moved to the UK for university. I miss the food in HK like crazy, especially 烧卖 which I haven't had any of for seven months.

    Anyway, looking at the photos here might make me hungry every time, but who cares. Brings back some memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks michael!!!
    how uni going?
    can't u get siu mai in the uk though? at chinese restaurants?

    ReplyDelete