Found the secret to making those awesome japanese boiled eggs with the semi set yolk.
- Try and use room temperature eggs. (not sure how much of a difference this makes)
- Place the eggs in a pot, THEN add COLD water to cover. You add the eggs in before water so you don't accidentally crack the eggs when you drop them in and smash on the bottom of the pot. Add cold water so the egg whites will cook slowly before the yolk, and so the egg doesn't crack due to sudden change in temp if you put them in when the water is boiling.
- Bring the eggs+water to the boil.
- Once it comes to a rapid boil, set a timer for 4 mins.
- Boil for 4 mins....then dunk in cold water so you can peel them without burning you're hands =]
- Cut in half to reveal the awesome deliciousness.
I used to hate eggs with a passion and the only eggs I would try were the crunch whites of a fried egg and mum's chinese omelettes. Nowadays, I don't mind boiled eggs (they used to make me gag), love fried eggs (with chilli flakes =D), still love omelettes but don't really like eggs scrambled. Weird.