This is not the puff flaky pastry type egg tart, it is the shortcrust pastry type (which I like better)
Ingredients (makes 12 supposedly, really depends on tart mould)
- Butter - 115g
- Fine sugar - 40g
- Egg yolk - x1
- Evaporated milk (花奶) - 23g
- Flour - 180g
- Vanilla essence - 3 drops
- Warm water - 225g
- Eggs - x3
- Evaporated milk - 60g
- Sugar - 75g
- Vanilla essence - 4 drops
- Mix butter and sugar, then mix in egg yolk. Beat until smooth.
- Add milk and vanilla essence, then sift flour, work dough.
- Chill dough in fridge for 20 minutes.
- Split dough into 12 balls, and flatten each into mould (make it at least 4mm thick, and make the inner edge fairly sharp so that there is more space for the filling, as well as not wasting any dough).
- Pierce 3 holes at the bottom of each base, then chill them for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 200℃
- Melt sugar with warm water, then cool to room temperature (CRUCIAL STEP!).
- Strain eggs through a sieve, and whisk into sugar solution.
- Stir in milk and vanilla.
- Strain final mixture through a sieve, and use it to fill up the tart bases.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
As we didn't have enough eggtart moulds we used a muffin tray and various other moulds we found.
Once you eat one you want to eat another and another and another....