Wow another late post. Not that I haven't made anything under the theme during the past fortnight, just that I haven't actually followed a recipe lately and I've forgotten to take a photo of whatever I have made. I attempted to make macaRONS for K仔 for Valentines Day. But having not made them in about 6 months and totally winging it I was destined to fail. Ended up with very dry and sweet sandwich flying disks. Luckily K仔 being the awesome boyfriend he is still ate them all up, giving him many sugar rushes during the day.
Which brings me to Caramel Popcorn. How does this reflect the theme? Let me set the scene. The sun is setting, the stars are coming out, sitting on a picnic rug with your boyfriend at the park, massive screen in front of you, movie is about to start and munching caramel popcorn.
There was one problem though, I don't have a recipe for Caramel Popcorn. Therefore I googled one.
Got this recipe off www.taste.com.au and it's actually from Super Food Ideas Magazine, August 2004.
Be warned, you'll probably be shocked at the amount of butter in this, but trust me it tastes amazing.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used a popcorn machine so no oil, shocking how much fat is in this)
- 1/2 cup popping corn
- 125g butter, chopped
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey (I skipped this)
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped (Also left this out, not a fan of nuts)
- Line a tray with baking paper. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 pieces of popping corn. If corn slowly turns around in a circle then oil is hot enough. (Or use popcorn machine according to instruction manual.)
- Add remaining popping corn. Cover with a tight-fitting lid. When corn starts popping, shake saucepan gently. Remove from heat when corn stops popping. Transfer to a large bowl, discarding any unpopped corn. (POPCORN MACHINE)
- Make caramel: Combine butter, sugar and honey in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Bring mixture to the boil. Boil, uncovered, without stirring, for 5 to 8 minutes or until light golden.
- Remove from heat. Stir in pecans. Pour caramel mixture over popcorn and stir until popcorn is coated. Spread over prepared tray. Set aside to cool. Break into pieces. Serve.
Makes 14 cups, trust me they'll disappear in no time.
Best night I've had for while I think. Keep in mind I have the worst memory ever so I have trouble recalling things.