Friday, December 24, 2010

Eating Out: Blok M [380 Little Bourke St Melbourne, 3000]

Originally planned to go to DonToo for ramen but found out that ramen is only available for dinner. Very disappointed after trying to find the place which only has a opaque A4 sized logo in front window. Therefore K仔 and I decided to just walk down a random street and pick out a restaurant whose cuisine is not so common. Although we walked past many japanese restaurants which I wanted to try (love jap food) we decided on a little Indonesian place called Blok M. We then decided to choose the weirdest sounding dishes.Because of the weird names I have completely forgotten what the dishes were called and can only describe them.
 Grilled Squid $9
It was quite a generous serve of decent squid. It was tender and had a chargrilled flavour. It was brushed with a sweet soy sauce before getting drenched in peanut sauce. I found it really rich and needed the good squeeze of lemon.
Durian Smoothie $3.50
Yes I admit, I like durian, the taste and the smell. I don't get how people describe the smell as rotten [insert disgusting object here]. I find it a distinct smell which is very strong. The smoothie could have been a little bit less icy and sweet however there was a strong durian flavour there. K仔 the Malaysian hates the smell but is willing to try some, only to rush back to his ice lemon tea.
I guess it would be like the nasi lemak equivalent? I didn't taste much but there was plenty of sides to accompany the rice. The fried chicken drumstick looked delicious. The stewed jackfruit was definitely an acquired taste. And the scary looking prawn crackers? Stale and health concerning. All for under $9 I think.

This sambal egg was pretty epic. Deep fried. The sambal was quite sweet but in a balanced and fragrant way. Most intriguing was the size of the yolk. It was about 3/4 of the entire egg.

Food: 7.5/10 Not bad but some flavours were acquired tastes.
Service/Environment: 8/10 Surprisingly quiet. The story of the restaurant hung there on the wall.Everything was clean.
Value: 8.5/10 Generous amounts of food.

Verdict? Yes I want to come back and try the whole fish dishes. Looks delicious.
Blok M on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment